Thursday, April 25, 2013

Album Showcase: Antada...what?

Watch the Duck - Antadaephobia


Atlanta group Watch the Duck has created a genre of their own, and I guarantee you it sounds like absolutely nothing you’ve ever heard before. Founding fathers of the “trapstep” movement, WTD has experimentally discovered a concept of blending the bluesy, distorted, vintage sound of vocals from a Sure 55, with the basslines and beat breaks of old lounge music, all topped with the synthetic moogs and electric toothbrush sounds of dubstep. I personally hate dubstep, but I found the dubstep components of each track to be miraculously tolerable, in fact I think that they complimented each composition quite well. If you were to put the Black Keys’ “Brothers”, B.B. King’s “Completely Well”, and Skrillex’s “Scary Monsters” in a blender, you would have Watch the Duck. Of course, I could rattle off metaphors all day, but the only way to understand what I’m talking about is to simply press play for yourself.

Poppin' Off




No comments:

Post a Comment